Can collecting other benefits affect SSDI payments?

by Mar 23, 2015

Home » FAQs » Can collecting other benefits affect SSDI payments?

Suffering a disabling injury can happen in a number of different ways. People can be hurt in a car accident, while at work or while serving in the military. If you have been involved in any of these situations, you should understand that you could very well qualify for at least one type of benefit for disabling physical or mental conditions.

However, not every person can collect every type of benefit available. Further, the more benefits you collect, the more likely it could be that the overall amount you receive will be reduced. This is because the Social Security Administration limits payouts for people who collect Social Security disability benefits as well as other types of public benefits.

One of the most common examples of benefit conflicts that can reduce overall payments is if a person collects SSDI as well as workers’ compensation.

Let’s say that you have been seriously injured on the job and will be out of work for at least a year. You may be eligible to collect both workers’ compensation because you got hurt on the job and SSDI if your injury is considered disabling by the SSA. 

However, because both types of benefits are public, not private, sources of disability benefits, the SSA can reduce your payments. It will do this if the combined benefits exceed 80 percent of your average weekly wage.

It is important to note that not all benefits will lead to a reduction in SSDI. For example, benefits received through Supplemental Security Income and Veterans Administration will not lead to reduced payments. Further, SSDI will not be affected by payments received through private parties, like insurance benefits.

If you are disabled and unable to work, every dollar you receive in support can be crucial for you and your family. In order to understand what types of benefits you make qualify and how you may be able to maximize the financial support you collect, you can discuss your situation and your options with an attorney.